Federal Spending and Debt
Over the past ten years, our nation’s debt has exploded, climbing past $20 trillion dollars. The debate between Republicans and Democrats in Congress seems to be over whether it is better to go bankrupt in 10 years or 20 years. Without a serious congressional commitment to responsible spending cuts, our country will remain on a path to fiscal ruin. We need people of courage in Washington if we are going to bring spending under control.
“No pecuniary consideration is more urgent, than the regular redemption and discharge of the public debt.”
– George Washington
Economy and Jobs
Freedom leads to prosperity. Michael’s top priorities include fostering job creation and unleashing the innovative potential of the American people by cutting back federal regulations and simplifying our convoluted tax code.
“A wise and frugal government…shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.”
— Thomas Jefferson
Providing for the common defense is one of the most important legitimate Constitutional responsibilities of our federal government. Michael Cloud is committed to ensuring that the United States military has the resources necessary to combat terrorism, counter enemy nations, and protect the life and liberty we hold dear.
“To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.”
– George Washington
The 2nd Amendment
Our Founding Fathers knew that the only defense against tyranny was an armed citizenry. Michael Cloud will protect your right to keep and bear arms.
“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams
The federal government has made a wreck of our health insurance system, and Texans are now experiencing skyrocketing premiums with less coverage. Obamacare must be repealed, and health care must be driven by a market-oriented approach that brings down costs and expands access to quality care. We must also ensure taxpayer dollars are not spent on abortion.
“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”
– Ronald Reagan
As the father of three children and the husband of a public school teacher, I understand our urgent need to provide a quality education for all of our nation’s students. Our bureaucratic approach to education is failing our students. We need to free teachers to teach and provide parents greater input in educational choices for their children.
“The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.”
– Abraham Lincoln
Border Security and Immigration
Our immigration system is in desperate need of reform, beginning with securing the border and upholding the rule of law.
Stand with me in telling Congress that 30 years of empty promises is shameful and that it’s time for the games to end so that our borders can be made secure.
Congress must fully fund the border wall and ensure that our Border Patrol Agents have the personnel, training, and equipment they need to secure our borders.
Our nation must keep its promise to the men and women who have served. We owe our veterans a tremendous debt and must ensure veterans have access to quality health care and education.
“For it has been said, all that a man hath will he give for his life; and while all contribute of their substance the soldier puts his life at stake, and often yields it up in his country’s cause. The highest merit, then is due to the soldier.”
– Abraham Lincoln
Agriculture and Property Rights
Texans are leaders in agriculture and the best stewards of Texas land. Our farmers and ranchers do not need the EPA or other government agencies interfering with property rights or passing unnecessary, intrusive regulations.
“…it is not for the advantage of the public to deprive an individual of his property – or even to retrench the least part of it by a law or a political regulation.” – Charles Montesquieu
We are blessed as a nation to possess abundant resources. We must continue to pursue energy independence.
The Constitution is clear that the free exercise of religion shall not be prohibited. Michael will stand strong against government attempts to discriminate against people of faith.
“Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”
– George Washington
The essential building block of a healthy, productive society is the family. Yet political forces are at work to discriminate against and destroy this sacred institution. We need Representation that recognizes the essential role of the family — and works to enact policies that recognize parental rights, respect marriage and protect life.
“All great change in America begins at the dinner table.”
– Ronald Reagan
Standing with Israel
Israel and the United States share a friendship based not only on common strategic interests but also on a common commitment to freedom, human rights, and the rule of law. Israel is a responsible and reliable partner in world affairs, and it is in the best interest of the United States that Israel remain strong and prosperous. Congress should continue to support Israel in ways that promote the security of both countries.
“I had faith in Israel before it was established, I have faith in it. (May 14, 1948)”
– President Harry Truman
A foundational moral principle in our nation is the understanding that every life has value. I believe life begins at conception and will continue to work to ensure each child is given the opportunity to experience the most basic of rights — the right to life. I am 100% pro-life.
“For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” (Psalm 139:13-14a)
– The Holy Bible
Highlights of Congressman Cloud’s Record so far
On the campaign trail, Congressman Cloud promised to put the priorities of our district first, and he have followed through on that promise where his conservative record standing up for our Texas values speaks for itself.
Protecting the Right to Life and defending our families’ values
- Stood up and demanded a vote from Speaker Nancy Pelosi on the Born Alive Act
- 100% Pro-Life – Recognized by Susan B. Anthony List for Pro-Life leadership
- Endorsed by Texans Alliance for Life
- Led successful effort to end hidden surcharge that funded abortion in Obamacare insurance plans
- 100% rating from Family Research Council
- Actively opposed “Equality Act” that would have endangered religious freedom
Working toward Border Security
- Co-led three trips to the border with Members of Congress, including Oversight Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, to educate them on the border crisis
- Created a border solutions working group and testified before the House Oversight Committee about the border crisis.
- “A” rating from NumbersUSA
Promoting Fiscal Responsibility and Limited Government
- Rated “Texas Congressional Champion” with a 100% voting record from FreedomWorks
- Endorsed by Texans for Fiscal Responsibility for 2020
- Introduced the Cost Estimates Improvement Act and voted repeatedly to push back on the Washington wasteful spending culture
Defending our 2nd Amendment Rights
- “A” Rating from the National Rifle Association
- Cosponsored Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act and Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act
Supporting our Veterans
- Introduced the Improving Confidence in Veterans Care Act
- Assisted dozens of Texas veterans in resolving VA claims
- Sponsored successful amendment to Veterans’ Access to Childcare Act to improve VA accountability
Promoting Energy Independence, Fair & Free Trade and a Strong Economy
- Joined President Trump on Air Force One and won a huge victory for the Port of Corpus Christi – so that our region can continue to lead as an exporter of American energy
- Pushed back repeatedly and spoke against the Green New Deal on the House Floor
- Appointed to U.S.-Mexico Interparliamentary Group to defend Texas interests in trade and border negotiations